Swindale, a hamlet and a chapelry in Shap parish, Westmorland, 4 miles SW of Shap station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Shap (R.S.O.) The chapelry includes the hamlet of Tailbert. Population, 24. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £60. Patron, the Vicar of Shap. The church is a small plain building, and was repaired and new-roofed in 1855. There is a school with an endowment of £50 per annum.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swindale from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Swindale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.