Strickland Ketel and Strickland Roger, Westmorland
Strickland Ketel and Strickland Roger, two townships in Kendal parish, Westmorland, on the river Kent, about 3 miles NNW of Kendal, and near Bumeside station on the L. & N.W.R. Post town, Kendal; money order and telegraph office, Bumeside. Acreage, 2360 and 3199; population, 738 and 423. The manors belong to the Earl of Lonsdale. There are extensive paper mills in Strickland Ketel, and a woollen factory in Strickland Roger. Garnet Bridge is a hamlet in the latter township. The two townships constitute the ecclesiastical parish of Bumeside. Population, 1161. There are parish councils for both townships, Strickland Ketel having a council of seven members and Strickland Roger one of fire. The parish church of St Oswald, in Strickland Ketel, was erected in 1881 on the site of the former church. It is in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave of six bays, aisles, and an embattled tower with a hexagonal spire belonging to the ancient church, and contains a beautiful carved oak reredos and several stained glass windows.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Strickland Ketel and Strickland Roger from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Strickland-Roger)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.