Sockbridge and Tirril, Westmorland
Sockbridge and Tirril, a township, with two villages, in Barton parish, Westmorland, on the river Eamont, 2 miles SSW of Penrith station on the L. & N.W.R. Acreage, 1229; population, 194. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor. Sockbridge Hall was the seat of the Lancasters, and is now a farmhouse. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a post office at Tirril, under Penrith; money order and telegraph office, Eamont Bridge.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sockbridge and Tirril from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sockbridge)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.