Sandford, a hamlet in Warcop parish, Westmorland, on the river Eden, 3½ miles SE of Appleby, and 1½ mile from Warcop station on the N.E.R. The manor belonged to the Sand-fords, and passed to the Viponts and the Warcops. There are an earthwork encampment, three large tumuli, and traces of an ancient chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sandford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sandford)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.