Dittisham, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Dart, 3 miles NNW of Dartmouth town, and 2 from Churston station on the G.W.R. It is noted for fine scenery and for plums, and has a post office under Dartmouth; money order office, Dartmouth; telegraph office, Churston railway station. Acreage, 3317, of which 361 are -water; population, 625. The manor belonged in the Conqueror's time to Baldwin, Baron of Okehampton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £418 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. The church is Early Perpendicular English, and has been restored. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Dittisham St. George|
|Poor Law union||Totnes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dittisham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Dittisham (St. George))
Online maps of Dittisham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCapton
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.