Reagill, a village in Crosby Ravensworth parish, Westmorland, 3½ miles NE of Shap. It was formerly called Renegill, and it belonged to Shap Abbey, and passed to the Whartons and the Lowthers. The Earl of Lonsdale is now lord of the manor. Post town, Shap; money order and telegraph office, Crosby Ravensworth. Coal exists, but is of inferior quality, and is not worked. There was formerly a chapel, and there is an endowed school, founded in 1684, with £40 a year.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Crosby Ravenswohth|
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Reagill from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Reagill)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.