Ormside or Ormes Head, Westmorland
Ormside or Ormes Head, a parish in Westmorland, on the river Eden, 3½ miles SSE of Appleby. It contains the two small villages of Great Ormside and Little Ormside, and has a station, called Ormside, on the M.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Appleby. Acreage, 2716, of which 26 are water; population, 208. The manor belonged to the Vescis; passed to the Radcliffes, the Pickerings, the Hyltons, and others; and belongs now to Lord Hothfield. Ormside Hall is an old 16th-century building, now a farmhouse; and Breeks Hall was the seat of the Bartons. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £148 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is an ancient building in the Norman style, with a tower, includes a private chapel of the Tuftons, and contains three brasses of the 17th century.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.