Diptford, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Avon, 5¼ miles WSW of Totnes. Avonwick station, on the Kingsbridge branch of the G.W.R., is a mile from the village. Gara Bridge station is in the parish. It has a post office under Ivybridge; money order and telegraph office, South Brent. Acreage, 4107; population, 586. Bradridge House and Courtis Knowle are chief residences. Diptford Court is used as a farmhouse. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; tithe commutation, £560 with residence. The church is Perpendicular English, consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with tower and spire, and was repaired in 1870, and has a clock in the tower with a peal of six bells. There are quarries of blue slate.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Diptford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Totnes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Diptford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Diptford (St. Mary))
Online maps of Diptford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.