Newby or Newby Stones, Westmorland
Newby or Newby Stones, a township in Morland parish, Westmorland, 4½ miles NE of Shap station on the L. & N.W.R. It has a post. office under Penrith; money order and telegraph office, Morland. Acreage, 2986; population, 234. The manor, with Newby Hall, belonged formerly to the Vernons and the Nevinsons, and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. There are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels and a freestone quarry.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Newby or Newby Stones from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Newby)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.