Nateby, a township in Kirkby Stephen parish, Westmorland, on the river Eden, 1½ mile S of Kirkby Stephen station on the M.R. and N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Kirkby Stephen. Acreage, 2195; population, 169. The manor belonged to the Hastings, passed to the Whartons, and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. A very fine fall of the river Eden is here, and a lofty fell, called the Nine Standards, from stones erected on it to mark the boundary between Westmorland and Yorkshire, is 2½ miles to the E.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Stephen|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Nateby from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.