Murton Cum Hilton, Westmorland
Murton-Cum-Hilton, two villages forming an ecclesiastical parish in Appleby St Michael parish, Westmorland. The villages lie on an affluent of the river Eden, 3 miles ENE of Appleby railway station. There is a post office, of the name of Murton, tinder Appleby; money order and telegraph office, Appleby. Population of the ecclesiastical parish, 298. Under the Local Government Act, 1894, the whole of the rural part of Bongate or St Michael's, Appleby, was added to the parish, which is called Murton, with a parish council consisting of five members. Murton Hall was formerly the seat of the Hiltons, and is now a farmhouse. Much of the land is moor and mountain, and parts in the E rise into Murton Pike and Murton Fell. Lead mines are worked by the London Lead Company. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross value, £203 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is a small building in the Gothic style, opened in 1856. There are Wesleyan and Free Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Murton Cum Hilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Murton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.