Milnthorpe, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Heversham parish, Westmorland. It forms with Heversham a township known as Heversham-with-Milnthorpe. The village stands at the mouth of the river Kent, near the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 2½ miles N of the boundary with Lancashire, and 8 S of Kendal; consists chiefly of two well-built streets, with some handsome houses in the environs, and has undergone extensive modern improvements. It was formerly a small port carrying on commerce chiefly in a coasting trade, but vessels are now unable to get up the river. The sands are extensive, and it is now frequented as a watering-place. It is also a seat of petty sessions, and has a head post office, a railway station, a church, and a Wesleyan chapel. The church was built in 1837, and is a handsome edifice in the Lancet style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch, and an embattled western tower. It was restored in 1883. One of the workhouses of the Kendal union stands a short distance to the NE, and was built in 1813 at a cost of £5000. A weekly market is held on Friday; fairs for cattle, sheep, and horses are held on 12 May and 17 Oct. There are malt-houses and a comb manufactory. The ecclesiastical parish includes the village, and was constituted in 1838. Population, 1064. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; net value, £248 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Heversham. In 1881 the Etching Memorial Institute, consisting of billiard, reading, and refreshment rooms and a large concert or lecture hall, and the Kitching Memorial Hospital, were erected.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Milnthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Milnthorpe, with Heversham)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.