Lupton, a township in Kirkby Lonsdale parish, Westmorland, 4 miles from Kirkby Lonsdale. It includes the hamlet of Cowbrow. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office at Kirkby Lonsdale. Acreage, 3513 of land and 11 of water; population, 325. The population was temporarily increased at the last census by about 110 persons with the men working on the Manchester Waterworks, and Lupton was obliged on that account to have a parish council. Lupton Fell is a prominent feature, and Lupton Tower is a chief residence. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor. A chapel of ease, erected in 1867, is a small building in the Norman style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisle, S porch, and a bell-turret. The township is included within the ecclesiastical district of the vicarage of Kirkby Lonsdale.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Lonsdale|
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lupton from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.