Langdale (Orton), Westmorland
Langdale, a hamlet in Orton parish, Westmorland, on the river Lune, 2 miles SSE of Orton, and half a mile from Gaisgill station on the N.E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Tebay. The manor was given by Henry II. to Walton Priory, went after the dissolution to the Wharton family, passed to the Bickersteths, and gave them the title of Baron.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Langdale (Orton) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Langdale)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.