Knock, a village in Long Marton parish, Westmorland, 5 miles N of Appleby. Post town, Appleby; money order and telegraph office, Long Marton. The manor belonged to the Boyvilles, the Rookbys, and others, and passed to the Tuftons. There was an ancient cross which is the subject of a local saying, " As old as Knock Cross." A Wesleyan chapel was erected in 1873.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Long Marton|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Knock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Knock)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.