Hilton, a village in Appleby St Michael or Bongate parish, Westmorland, on an affluent of the river Eden, 3 miles from Appleby. It forms, with Mnrton, the ecclesiastical parish of Murton-cum-Hilton. Population, 298. The manor belonged formerly to the Viponts, the Bacons, and the Heltons, and belongs now to the Earl of Lonsdale. Much of the surface is upland, and includes Hilton FelL Lead ore is mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle; gross joint value,, £210 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is at Murton.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Helton, or Hilton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.