Hartley, a township in Kirkby Stephen parish, Westmorland, 1 mile SE of Kirkby Stephen railway station. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Kirkby Stephen. Acreage, 3229; population, 183. Hartley Castle stood on an eminence, and was built by Sir Andrew de Harcla. It was called Harcla or Harclay in the 18th century. Hartley is a modern name. The castle was still existing in ruins in the 18th century. A farmhouse, built from the remains, stands now on the site. The township is mountainous, includes Hartley Fell, and contains coal, lead, copper, and iron.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Kirkby Stephen|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hartley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.