Hackthorpe, a village in Lowther parish, Westmorland, 5 miles S by E of Penrith, and 1½ mile from the Clifton and Lowther station on the L. & N.W.R. and N.E.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Penrith. An old seat here belonged successively to the Hackthorpes, the Stricklands, and the Lowthers. The Earl of Lonsdale is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hackthorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hacthorpe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.