Great and Little Strickland, Westmorland
Strickland, Great and Little, two villages and three townships in the ecclesiastical parish of Thrimby-with-Great Strickland, Morland parish, Westmorland, 2¼ and 3¼ miles from Clifton and Shap railway stations. There is a post office at Great Strickland under Penrith; money order and telegraph office, Hackthorpe. Acreage of Great Strickland, 2339; of Little Strickland, 790; and of Thrimby, 1574; populations, 241, 112, and 62. Great Strickland belonged to the Stricklands till the time of Henry VI., and passed to the Fallowfields, and it was the birthplace in 1396 of Bishop De Strickland. Little Strickland belonged to the Crackenthorpes. Both manors now belong to the Earl of Lonsdale. The parish church is at Little Strickland. There are a chapel of ease, erected in 1872, and a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1887, at Great Strickland.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||West ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great and Little Strickland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Strickland, Little)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.