Fawcet Forest, Westmorland
Fawcet Forest, a hamlet in Orton parish, Westmorland, 7 miles NNE of Kendal. The area is extensive, wild, mountainous, and barren, and so much as 5000 acres of it have been let for less than £500 a year. It anciently belonged to Byland Abbey.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kendal|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Fawcet Forest from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Fawcet-Forest)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.