Elter Water, Westmorland
Elter Water, a small lake and a village in Grasmere parish, on the W border of Westmorland. The lake lies at the junction of Great Langdale and Little Langdale, and receives the streams from both; has been diminished by artificial draining, but still measures about 3 miles in circuit, and possesses none of the beauties which so richly characterise the neighbouring lakes, yet forms a good feature, from certain points of view, in a great landscape. The village stands on the river Brathay, adjacent to the lake, 3 miles W of Amble-side, and has a post, money order and telegraph office under Ambleside. The mills of the Eiter Water Gunpowder Co. are here, and also some slate quarries.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.