UK Genealogy Archives logo

Burton, Westmorland

Historical Description

Burton, a township in Warcop parish, Westmorland, under Rutman Fell, 3½ miles ESE of Appleby. It belonged to the Wyberghs and the Hyltons, and was the birthplace of Cardinal Bainbridge. Lead ore is mined.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.