Brampton, a large manor and hamlet in Long Marton parish, Westmorland, 2 miles N of Appleby railway station. Lord Hothfield is lord of the manor and sole landowner. It has a post office under Appleby, which is the money order and telegraph office. A steep conical hill near the town, called the Mote, is much visited by tourists for the sake of the splendid view of the surrounding country to be obtained from it.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Long Martin|
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brampton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brampton)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.