Bowness, a small town in Undermillbeck township, Windermere parish, Westmoreland, on a small bay of Windermere lake, opposite Belle Isle, 1½ mile SSW of Windermere village and railway station. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O.) under Windermere. Acreage of urban sanitary district, 969; population, 2061. There are four good hotels, a handsome grammar school, built in 1836; a working men's institute, erected in 1875; and the parish church of Windermere, a long, low, ancient edifice with a square tower, which was restored at a cost of over £7000 in 1870, when a new chancel was built and the tower raised to hold a peal of eight bells. The church contains a beautiful old window of stained glass, considered to be one of the finest in the kingdom. There are also places of worship for Wesleyans, Congregationalists, and Christian Brethren. Bowness has been much improved and extended in recent years, and contains many new neat houses, and is a grand centre of tourists visiting the lakes. There is a good quay and a small pier; steamers ply from it daily; there is a ferry here across the lake, and some trade is carried on in the exporting of slate. Coaches run to Coniston and Ullswater. The town has gas, electric, and water supply.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bowness from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bowness)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.