Blea Tarn (Warcop), Westmorland
Blea Tarn, a hamlet and a lakelet in Warcop parish, Westmoreland. The hamlet lies on the E side of Patterdale, 6 miles NNE of Ambleside. The manor was given, in the time of Henry II., by John Tailbois to Byland Abbey in Yorkshire, and a cell to that abbey was built on it. The lakelet lies high, and sends a streamlet, jointly with that from Angle Tarn, to the head of Ullswater.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||East ward|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blea Tarn (Warcop) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bleatarn)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.