Backbarrow, a small village in the parishes of Colton and Cartmel, on the SW border of Westmoreland, on the banks of the river Leven, adjacent to the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 8½ miles SSW of Kendal. It has a post and money order office under Ulverston; Haverthwaite is the telegraph office and railway station. There are extensive iron works, and two large gunpowder mills.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Westmorland is available to browse.