Dalwood, sister parish to the adjoining one of Stockland, Devonshire, on the river Cory, 4 miles from Axminster station on the L. & S.W.R., and 6 E of Honiton. It has a post and money order office under Axminster; telegraph office, Seaton Junction and Axminster. Acreage, 1755; population, 390. The parish, annexed to the vicarage of Stockland in the diocese of Exeter, is in the sole charge of a curate. The church (St Peter) is in the Early English style, and was restored in 1881. There are Baptist and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Dalwood from the following:
Online maps of Dalwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.