Wilnecote, a township in Tamworth parish, and an ecclesiastical parish partly also in Polesworth parish, Warwickshire. The township lies on Watling Street, 2½ miles SE of Tamworth, and has a station (Wilnecote and Fazeley) on the Derby and Birmingham section of the M.R., and a post and money order office under Tamworth; telegraph office, Fazeley Acreage, 1058; population, 2351. There is a parish council for Wilnecote and Castle Liberty consisting of nine members. There are clay mines and a large colliery, and bricks, tiles, and pottery are manufactured. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1856. Population, 2933. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £195, Patron, the Vicar of Tamworth. The church was rebuilt in 1821. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and a cemetery.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Tamworth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wilnecote from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.