Wilmcote, a hamlet in Astor Cantlow parish, and an ecclesiastical parish partly also in Old Stratford parish, Warwickshire. The hamlet is 3½ miles NW of Stratford-upon-Avon, and has a station on the G.W.R., and a post office under Stratford-upon-Avon; money order office, Stratford-upon-Avon; telegraph office, Shottery. The ecclesiastical parish includes also the village of Pathlow and a portion of Stratford. Population, 552. There are extensive quarry and cement works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £56 with residence. Patron, the Society for the Maintenance of the Faith. The church was erected in 1841. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Old Stratford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Wilmcote:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
See Aston Cantlow for earlier records.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wilmcote from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Wilmcote are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.