Culmstock, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Cuime, with a station on the G.W.R., 179 miles from London, and 7 NE of Collumpton, It was once a market-town, and still has a fair on 21 May. The parish includes also the hamlets of Northend, Nicholshayne, Prestcott, and Upcott. There is a post and money order office under Collumpton; telegraph office, Uffculme. Acreage, 3657; population, 854. The manor belonged before the Conquest to the bishops of the diocese. Culmstock Beacon, on a lofty hill, is a well-preserved ancient structure. A considerable woollen trade was formerly carried on, but has died away. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £290 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church is of the 14th century; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with western embattled tower, and contains a small piscina and a fine altar-piece. It was restored in 1887. A yew-tree grows from the wall of the tower, at about 4 feet from the em-battlements. A Wesleyan chapel is in Culmstock village, and a Baptist one at Prestcott.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Culmstock All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Culmstock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Culmstock (All Saints))
Online maps of Culmstock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cNorth End
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.