Shirley, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Solihull parish, Warwickshire. The village is 2½ miles W by S of Solihull, and 6 SSE of Birmingham, and has a post office under Birmingham; money order and telegraph office, Solihull. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1843. Population, 1465. Shirley is a ward of the parish council of Solihull, and returns four members to that council. Many good residences are in the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £191 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Solihull. The church was built in 1832, and restored and enlarged in 1883. There is a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Solihull|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Shirley:
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shirley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Shirley-Street)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Shirley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.