Princethorpe, a township in Stretton-on-Dunsmore parish, Warwickshire, on the Fosse Way, near the river Ichene, 2½ miles S of Marton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6 NW of Southam. It has a post office under Rugby; money order and telegraph office, Marton. Acreage, 1070; population, 279. A Benedictine priory or nunnery was erected in 1833; includes a chapel, with a low steeple, and stands on a plot of about 4 acres.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Stretton upon Dunsmoor|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Princethorpe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Princethorpe)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Princethorpe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.