Olton, a place in Solihull and Bickenhill parishes, Warwickshire, 2 miles NW of Solihull, and 4¼ SE of Birmingham. It has a station on the Leamington and Birmingham section of the G.W.R., and a post and money order office under Birmingham; telegraph office at the railway station. Olton is a ward in Solihull parish, and returns two parish councillors and one district councillor. The name Olton was formerly restricted to Solihull End, but now embraces Lyndon Quarter in Bickenhill parish. Traces of an old castle remain. St Margaret's is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Worcester; gross value, £150 with residence. The church was built in 1880. There is a Congregational chapel. The Capuchin monastery, originally a .Roman Catholic seminary, stands in extensive grounds, and has a chapel and a cemetery attached.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Olton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.