Coryton or Corriton, a parish in Devon, with a station on the G.W.R.,216 miles from London, on Lyd river, 7 miles NNW of Tavistock. Post town, Lewdown (R.S.O.); money order office, Lewdown; telegraph office, Coryton railway station. Acreage, 1520; population, 238. Coryton Park is the seat of the Tucker family. Slate has been largely quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £157 with residence. The church is ancient, and was repaired and enlarged in 1838.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Coryton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Tavistock|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coryton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Coryton (St. Andrew))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.