Cornworthy, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Dart, 4 miles SSE of Totnes station on the G.W.R. It contains the hamlets of Allaleigh and East Cornworthy, and its post town is Totnes; money order and telegraph office, Totnes. Acreage, 2625 of land and 258 of tidal water and foreshore; population, 401. An Augustinian nunnery was founded on the farm of Court-Prior by the ancestors of the Edgcombes, and some remains of it exist. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £170 with residence. The church Js a fine ancient edifice, with a square tower, and has an ancient carved oak screen and a very fine monument of Sir T. Harris of the year 1610. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cornworthy St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Totnes|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cornworthy from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cornworthy (St. Peter))
Online maps of Cornworthy are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cAllaleigh
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.