Little Lawford, Warwickshire
Lawford, Little, a township in Newbold-upon-Avon parish, Warwickshire, 3 miles W by N of Rugby. Post town, Long Lawford, under Rugby; money order and telegraph office, Rugby. Acreage, 444; population, 52. The manor belonged to the Allesleys, passed to the Boughtons, was the scene of the poisoning of Sir Theodosius Boughton in 1780, and went by sale in 1793 to the Caldecotts. The mansion is Holbrooke Grange, and superseded a previous mansion of the Boughtons.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Newbold upon Avon|
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Little Lawford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lawford, Little)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Little Lawford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.