Cornwood, a village and a parish in Devonshire, close to the "borders of Dartmoor, with a station on the G.W.R., 233 miles from London, and 9½ ENE of Plymouth, and a post and money order office under Ivy-Bridge; telegraph office, Spark-well. The parish includes also the village of Lutton, several other small hamlets, and part of the chapelry of Ivy-Bridge. Acreage of the civil parish, 10,313; population, 1258; of the ecclesiastical, 1104. Fardell, a very old farmhouse in this parish, was the occasional residence of Sir Walter Raleigh. About 6000 acres of the parish are common and moor. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £363 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is chiefly Perpendicular English, partly much older. The interior was restored some years since, and the chancel adorned with costly marbles and alabaster, by the munificence of the late Lord Blachford. The perpetual curacy of Ivy-Bridge is a separate benefice. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cornwood St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cornwood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cornwood (St. Michael))
Online maps of Cornwood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cHeddon
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.