Keresley, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Warwickshire. The township is in Coventry St Michael parish, 1½ mile W of Foleshill station on the Coventry and Nuneaton branch of the L. & N.W.R., and 2 miles NNW of Coventry, and has a post office under Coventry; money order and telegraph office, Coventry. Acreage, 1069; population, 491. The manor was given to the monks of Coventry in the time of Henry III. by Roger de Montalt, and belongs now to Queen's College, Oxford. The ecclesiastical parish includes also Coundon hamlet in Holy Trinity parish, bears the name of Keresley and Coundon, and was constituted in 1847. Population, 789. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £237 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. The church was built in 1847, and has a tower and spire.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Foleshill|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Keresley:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
See Coventry, Holy Trinity & St Michael for earlier records.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Keresley from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Keresley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.