Hunmanby, a village and a parish in the E. B. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Hull and Scarborough railway, between the Wolds and the sea, 9 miles from Scarborough and 3 from Filey, and has a station on the railway, a post, money order, and telegraph office (R.S.O.), a good inn, a bank, a church, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, almshouses, some charities, and fairs for cattle, sheep, and horses, on 6 May and 29 Oct. It was formerly a market-town of some importance. The church is partly of the 12th century; was repaired at considerable cost in 1845; consists of nave, N aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains armorial bearings of the ancient lords of Hunmanby manor, monuments to the Osbaldestons, Mitfords, and others, and two memorial windows to the Mitfords. The parish comprises 6991 acres of land and 127 of water and foreshore; population, 1309. Hunmanby Hall belongs to the lord of the manor, and is a very old but restored brick edifice, in a park, with an entrance arch. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York; net value, £500 with residence. Dr Fiddes, author of a life of Wolsey, was a native. HinuiiTighaTn or Honyngham, a parish with a village in Warwickshire, on the river Learn, 3 miles WNW of Marton station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 NE of Leamington. It has a post office under Leamington Spa; money order office, Cubbington; telegraph office, Marton. Acreage, 1261; population, 240. The manor belongs to Lord Leigh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £78 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is Early English, and formerly belonged to the monks of Sulby; it was restored in 1868, and consists of nave, chancel, and N aisle, with small wooden tower; and contains a few ancient monuments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Hunmanby All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Bridlington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hunmanby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hunmanby (All Saints))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.