Compton Gifford, Devon
Compton-Gifford, a village, a tithing, and a parish adjoining Plymouth, in Devonshire. The tithing is governed by a board of nine members. It includes the village of Compton, and the suburban districts of Mannamead, Mutley, and Hyde-Park, comprising a number of fine residences, and has two post offices, of the name of Compton and Mutley, under Plymouth, the latter being the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 642; population, 3264. The Plymouth, Stonehouse, and Devonport Cemetery, established in 1846, comprising 18 acres, and containing two chapels, both in the Decorated style of architecture, is in the parish. The new South Devon militia depot also is here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £400 with residence. Emmanuel Church, at Mannamead, is a fine building in the Decorated style. A tower was erected in 1894.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Charles The Martyr Plymouth|
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Compton Gifford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Compton-Gifford)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cMannamead
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.