Hartshill, a village, a township, and an ecclesiastical parish in Warwickshire. The village stands on the river Anker, on the end of a hilly plain, near Watling Street, the Coventry Canal, and the boundary with Leicestershire, 2 miles NW of Stockingford station on the M.R., 3 S of Atherstone station on the L. & N.W.R., and 3 NNW of Nnneaton, and is supposed to occupy the Campus Martins of the Roman Man-duessedum, and commands a view in which are seen 45 parish churches. It has a post and money order office under Atherstone; telegraph office, Stockingford station. The township comprises 1565 acres; population, 1485. It includes Chapel End, a colliery village which has a post office under Atherstone. The manor was given at the Conquest to Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, whose descendant took the name of de Har-dreshull in the reign of Henry L, and held possession till the failure of the male line in the reign of Edward III. Ruins exist of a Norman castle, built in 1125 by Hugh de Hardreshull. A large wood extends from the W side of the village nearly to the camp at Oldbury. Excellent road-metal is quarried, greenstone and iron-ore abound, and manganese and copper ore are found. Ribbon-making was formerly carried on, but is now almost extinct. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester; net value, £185 with residence. The church is a modern edifice in the Norman style. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, a Friends' meeting-house, and two endowed Nonconformist schools. Michael Drayton, the poet, was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Warwickshire County Record Office hold the following registers for Hartshill:
Most of the records prior to 1911 have been digitised and are available on Ancestry.co.uk
See Mancetter for earlier records.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hartshill from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Hartshill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.