Colyton Rawleigh, Devon
Colyton-Rawleigh or Colaton-Raleigh, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Otter, S½ miles from Tipton St John station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Ottery St Mary; telegraph office, East Budleigh. The parish includes also the hamlets of Kingston, Stowford, Blackbury, Stonyford, Grindle, Bystock, and Hawkerland. Acreage, 3764; population, 551. The property belongs chiefly to the family of Rolle. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £350. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is good, having been almost entirely rebuilt in 1875, but interesting features of the old building were preserved. There are a chapel for Plymouth Brethren and a small mission church. Comb Coffin. See COMBE PYNE. Combe or Coombe, an Anglo-Saxon word signifying " an upland hollow" or " a low place enclosed with hills," and used by itself and as a prefix in topographical nomenclature. It is similar to the Welsh Cwm.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Colyton-Rawleigh St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Colyton Rawleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Colyton-Rawleigh (St. John the Baptist))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBlackbury
Grindle (Colyton Rawleigh)
Hawkerland or Hookerland
Kingston (Colyton Rawleigh)
Stowford (Colyton Rawleigh)
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.