Brandon and Bretford, Warwickshire
Brandon and Bretford, a township in Wolston parish, Warwickshire, situated on the river Avon, 5 miles ESE of Coventry. It has a station on the L. & N.W.R. Acreage, 1988; population, 387. There are silk mills. Here were anciently a castle, built soon after the Conquest, a small convent of black nuns, founded by Geoffrey de Clinton, and given to Kenilworth Priory, and a chapel or hospital of St Edmond, founded by the Turvilles, lords of Wolston. The castle was destroyed in the Barons' war in the reign of Henry VII., but was subsequently rebuilt. Some traces of the castle still exist. Brandon House is the seat of the Beech family.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Rugby|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brandon and Bretford from the following:
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Warwickshire is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Warwickshire papers online:
The Visitation of Warwickshire 1619 is available on the Heraldry page.