Collumpton or Cullompton, a town and a parish in Devonshire. The town stands on the river Cuime, with a station on the G.W.R., 177 miles from London, in a fine valley amid charming scenery, 12½ miles NE of Exeter, consists chiefly of two main streets, is a seat of petty sessions, and has a liead post office, two banks, three chief inns, a town-hall, a parish church, four dissenting chapels, and large charities. The town-hall was erected in 1853. It is now known as the " Jubilee Room," and includes a reading-room and a lecture-room. The church is a noble pile, partly of the 15th century, consists of aisled nave and chancel, and a side chapel, with imposing lofty western tower, and contains a gorgeous screen and rood-loft, with elaborate carvings; it was restored in 1849. A weekly market is held on Saturday, and fairs on the first Wednesday of May and Nov. Woollen manufacture was formerly extensive but has declined, and industry is now carried on in tan-yards, paper-mills, and flour-mills. The parish comprises 8175 acres; population, 3179. The manor was bequeathed by King Alfred to his son Ethel-ward, and passed in 1278 to Buckland Abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £374 with residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cullompton St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Collumpton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cullompton (St. Andrew))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.