Coldridge or Coleridge, Devon
Coldridge or Coleridge, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Taw, 2 miles from Lapford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 S of Chulmleigh. Post town and money order office, Wembworthy; telegraph office, Lapford railway station. Acreage, 3676; population, 395. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter, annexed to the rectory of Nymet Eowland; joint net value, £2 6 3. The church is very ancient, has a tower commanding a fine view, and contains a beautiful screen, a figure of Edward V. in coloured glass, and an effigy of John Evans of 1514. The north aisle was restored in 1873. There is a small chapel for Bible Christians. Coldsborne. See COLESBOURHTE. Coldsmouth and Thompson's Walls, a township in Kirk-Newton parish, Northumberland, 9 miles from Wooler, and 9 from Coldstream station on the N.E.R. Post town, and money order and telegraph office, Coldstream. Acreage, 1340; population, 8. The Earl of Tankerville is lord of the manor.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Coleridge St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coldridge or Coleridge from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Coleridge (St. Mary))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.