Coffinswell, a parish in Devonshire, near Kingskerswell station on the G.W.R., 3 miles SE of Newton-Abbot, and 3½ NE of Torquay. It includes the hamlet of Daccombe, and its post town is Newton-Abbot. Acreage, 1152; population, 200. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of St Mary Church, in the diocese of Exeter; joint yearly value, £304, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter. The church (St Bartholomew's) dates from the 14th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Coffinswell St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coffinswell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Coffinswell (St. Bartholomew))
- History, Gazetteer and Directory of Devon, by William White, 2nd edition, 1878-9
Online maps of Coffinswell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cDaccombe
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.