Cockington, a parish in Devonshire, near Tor Bay, 1 mile W of Torquay station on the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Torquay. Acreage., 1209; population, 1718. Cockington Court is the seat of the Mallock family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £162 with residence. The church is ancienty consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with western embattled tower, and has an ancient carved screen and a very ancient octagonal font. It was restored in 1882-83. There are an iron church and mission hall, a convalescent home for working women, and almshouses. Cockington is rapidly becoming a substantial residential suburb of Torquay.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbot|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cockington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cockington)
Online maps of Cockington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cChelston
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.