Portfield, an ecclesiastical parish in Sussex, 1½ mile from Chichester station on the L.B. & S.C.R. It was formed out of Oving parish in 1871, and has a post and money order office under Chichester; telegraph office, Chichester. The bulk of the parish is now incorporated with Chichester, the remainder being in the civil parish of Oving. Population, 1576. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; net. value, £250 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church, Early English, is a small plain building of stone.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Hundred||Box and Stockbridge|
|Poor Law union||West Hampnett|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Portfield from the following:
Online maps of Portfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: