Clyst Hydon, Devon
Clyst-Hydon, a parish in Devonshire, near the source of the river Clist, 2½ miles E of Hele station on the G.W.R., and 4 SE by S of Collumpton. Post town, Exeter; money order and telegraph office, Whimple. Acreage, 1764; population, 298. The manor belonged formerly to the family of Hidon, and belongs now to the family of Huyshe. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £559 with residence. The church is a fine old edifice of nave, aisles, and chancel, with porch and tower. There are an endowed school and three almshouses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clist-Hydon St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clyst Hydon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clist-Hydon (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Clyst Hydon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.