Clayhidon or Clehedon, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Culm, and at the boundary with Somerset, 4¼ miles from Wellington station on the G.W.R., and 9 NE by E of 'Collumpton. It has a post office under Wellington; money order office, Hemyock; telegraph office, Hemyock railway station. Acreage, 4741; population, 480. The surface rises in lofty hills from the river Culm to the watershed of the Black Downs. Two estates, Culm Pyne and Old Culm Pyne, lie isolated within Hemyock. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; tithe commutation, £615 with residence and glebe. The church belongs to the 14th century, consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel, with western tower, and contains an ancient piscina and a very ancient font. There are a small Baptist chapel and charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clayhedon St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Wellington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clayhidon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Clayhedon (St. Andrew))
Online maps of Clayhidon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.